Gilmer & Giglio


Posts tagged personal injury law
What is med-pay?

Medical Payments insurance, or med-pay, is usually an addition to a liability insurance policy that provides money in the event the insured is involved in an accident which causes him physical injury for which he has to seek medical treatment.

Med-Pay coverage is a great way to pay for medical expenses after you have been in an accident because it will pay for your medical expenses regardless of whether or not you were at fault for the accident. 

Medical Payments coverage will also provide coverage to other passengers in your vehicle who have been involved in an accident and to individuals who have been involved in an accident with you.

If you have been involved in an accident and are not sure what to do next, give us a call at (318) 459-9111 to set up a consult.

What is UM insurance and do I need it?

UM Insurance is uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance. It is usually an optional addition to a liability policy. Liability insurance is insurance an individual purchases to provide coverage in the event that he causes damage to another person. Uninsured/Underinsured motorist insurance, unlike liability coverage, which provides coverage to the other driver, provides insurance coverage to the purchaser if he is involved in an accident with a driver who has either no insurance or insufficient insurance to compensate him for his damages.

UM insurance kicks in when another driver is at fault for an accident, but that driver has no insurance or has policy limits that are smaller than your damages.

In Louisiana, the minimum coverage allowed for a liability policy is $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident. If you are injured in an accident with more than a minor soft tissue injury, these minimums are very unlikely to adequately compensate you for your medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional distress damages to which you are entitled. UM coverage steps in to cover you for the loss. 

In Louisiana, UM coverage must be actively declined by the purchaser of an insurance policy. Unless you decline this coverage, or reduce the amount of coverage, it will provide you UM coverage in the same amount as your liability coverage. We recommend that our clients not reject UM coverage. It provides additional protection to you in the event you are in an accident with one of the 12-14% of the population in Louisiana who is uninsured. 

If you have been in auto accident and you are unsure of what steps you should take next, give us a call at (318) 459-9111 to set up a consult.

I've been in a car accident. Now what?

Immediately after the accident:

Immediately following a car accident, if the vehicles are drive-able and it is safe to do so, you should remove them from any traffic they are blocking. You should not, under any circumstances, leave the general area of the accident; however, because you may be charged with a hit and run or with leaving the scene of an accident. 

Even if the accident occurred on private property, you will likely want to contact law enforcement. This will ensure that a report documenting what happened is created, which is useful if litigation will follow your accident. 

If you or the other people involved in the accident are injured, you should call for emergency medical services. 

Make sure you have your driver’s license, proof of insurance, and registration available to show the law enforcement officers who arrive on scene and exchange that information with the driver(s) of the other vehicle.

Also, take pictures and document the damage to all vehicles involved in the accident, as well as the scene, if it is safe to do so. Law enforcement will usually not do this and this information is incredibly helpful in resolving any property damage or injury claims resulting from the accident. 

If you are visibly injured, you should also photograph those injuries immediately and as the injury progresses or heals. 

Call your insurance company and the insurance company for the other driver(s) involved in the accident and report it.

After the initial report:

If you need additional medical treatment, you should follow-up with a doctor as soon as possible. If you do not have a general practitioner, visit your local urgent care or ER. Make sure you then follow the instructions they give you regarding medication, follow-up treatment with your own physician, or referrals to other physicians.

If your injuries are soft-tissue, you may want to follow-up with a chiropractor who can assist in easing those injuries and get you back on your fee more quickly. A good chiropractor can also help you to locate another doctor if your injuries are more severe than you originally suspected and ensure that you get the right treatment for your injuries.

If you have been in an accident and suffered injuries, we would love to discuss your options for resolution with you.

Sometimes it can be difficult to negotiate with your insurance company (or the other driver(s)) on your own behalf. If you or a loved one has been in an accident and you’re not sure what to do next, give us a call at (318) 459-9111 to set up a consult.